Saturday, July 4, 2020

Let's Talk About Race

Hello family and friends! The last time I wrote a blog was when I was going through active breast cancer treatment and wanted to share my experiences during that chapter of my life. Doing that blog was very therapeutic for me and gave me a much needed creative outlet.

Well, today I'm starting a blog for a much different purpose - to start a conversation about race.

Now, if you had asked me two months ago what my next blog would be about, not in a million years would I have said race. However, my heart is telling me that race is exactly what I need to be writing about.

Some of you might be thinking, "Well, that's silly. You're white. Why would you want to write about race?" Well...being white is exactly why I should be writing about the issues surrounding race. Black people and other people of color in this country have been dealing with and talking about issues of race their whole lives. And it's about time that I step up and help.

When I first heard about George Floyd's murder and saw the video of the police officer kneeling on his neck and George Floyd was calling out for his mom, it broke my heart. I couldn't believe that the police officer would continue to kneel on this man's neck for more than eight minutes, while the other officers just stood there and watched. 

In the days to follow,  I went from heartbroken to outraged. I mean...how could one human just nonchalantly, with their hand in their pocket, do that to another human being? And, furthermore, why? George Floyd allegedly tried to buy something with a counterfeit $20, and now he's dead. A senseless tragedy that should NOT have happened. George Floyd, a father of five, did not deserve to die. 

What fueled my outrage even more was learning about the countless other senseless deaths of Black men and women at the hands of police officers. And those are only the ones that have been publicized and/or caught on video. 

What happened next is hard to explain. It's as if my blinders came off and I started seeing the world in a different way. My eyes were opened to the depth of the systemic racism in this country as I started learning about the injustices against Blacks such as mass incarceration, the discriminatory lending practice of "redlining" (when banks denied Black people mortgage loans based purely on race), the Tulsa Race Massacre, and the list goes on. Here I am almost 50 years old, and I am now just beginning to learn just how deep white supremacy and systemic racism runs in our country. 

Ever since that "blinders off" moment, I have been educating myself by listening to podcasts, reading articles and books, watching documentaries, and utilizing online resources. 

One of the most meaningful parts of this immersive journey has been hearing from Black Americans and other people of color about their experiences growing up and living in this country. One simple way I have been able to do that is by diversifying my Instagram feed by following Black people and other people of color. As a white ally, I think one of the most important things I can do right now is listen to those voices that have gone unheard for far too long.

I realize now what a privilege it is to be white in this country. And as a white person, I am committed to using my voice and action, as well as amplifying the voices of people of color, to help further the cause of ending racial and social injustice in our country. And this blog is one way that I hope to do just that.

If I'm being totally honest, writing this first blog post has been a struggle. I know that race is an uncomfortable discussion topic for many people. And I admit that I am a bit apprehensive about how this blog will be received. I also want to say upfront that I realize I am not an expert on race issues and I know that I will make mistakes. Please call me on them when I do.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am writing this blog to start a conversation about race. I plan to share some of my new learnings and resources and hope to also amplify the stories of Black people and other people of color. And my hope is that you all feel comfortable joining in the discussion if you have something you would like to comment on or share. This blog is a work in progress and will evolve over time, but it will always come from my heart.

Before I sign off, I thought I would share some podcast episodes to check out:

1. Interview with Ibram X. Kendi, American author and historian. This month, Kendi will join Boston University to launch the BU Center for Antiracist Research. 

2. Interview with Dr. Khalil Gibran Muhammad, professor of History, Race and Public Policy at Harvard Kennedy School. He also wrote "The Condemnation of Blackness: Race, Crime, and the Making of Modern Urban America."

3. Interview with Spring Washam, an author and meditation teacher.

Until next time...















4 comments:

  1. Wow, Darcy. This is amazing. I'm so proud of you for being vulnerable, open, and courageous, especially regarding such a sensitive topic. You've inspired me to do more. One thing I've been trying to do is purchase things from black and brown owned businesses - not too many in Maple Valley but lots in Seattle. See link below. And there's an App for it as well.

    Looking forward to your next post!


    http://seattlerefined.com/lifestyle/support-black-owned-businesses-in-seattle

    https://blackownedrestaurantsinseattle.com/



    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Darcy. I so admire you for putting your feelings into actions. Thanks for helping us be more educated and aware!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m all in Darcy! It’s time for white people to stop asking black people to solve the problem we created. The hardest conversations will be with those closest to us. It will be uncomfortable but it’s beyond time for us to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Troubling. True. Sad. https://youtu.be/9UyncvbwHwk

    ReplyDelete

Before You Say All Lives Matter...

When you first heard the words, Black Lives Matter, how did it make you feel? Were you angry or annoyed? Defensive?  Confused maybe? Did you...